Student spotlight: Sarah Boomer

Hometown: Hampden, Maine

Sarah Boomer, a senior nursing major who will graduate in December plans to work in a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) or as a labor and delivery nurse. She hopes to find a job in the Portland or Bangor area.

“Nursing is in my blood. My mom is a neonatal nurse practitioner, so I have grown up hearing about nursing my entire life. She is a superhero. I also have a passion for neonatal intensive care just like my mom because I was in the NICU with my identical twin when we were born. We were born at 29 weeks, and I was in the NICU for 46 days. Without the amazing care that those nurses gave to me and my sister, we wouldn’t be here today. I want to give back and help give a fighting chance for all premature and sick babies and their families. I know I can do just that by becoming a nurse. Outside of class, I love to hang out with my friends and family, and play tennis. Tennis is a great way to relieve stress from school work. I also enjoy a good Netflix binge. I love UMaine because it is close to home and I have made so many amazing friends here. I am thankful for all of the opportunities that this school has brought to me over the last four-and-a-half years. It has been great to have been a part of such an awesome program filled with amazing students and staff. I will be sad to leave this place in a few short months!”

See posts featuring Boomer on UMaine’s Facebook and Instagram pages.